The Art of Opportunity Workshop for
Designing New Growth
A 2-day workshop on how to design new growth from within your company.
All successful companies must eventually answer the same basic question: How do you establish new growth strategies and business opportunities from within your organization? The Designing New Growth Workshop was developed to help you answer that question.
Based on and delivered by the authors of The Art of Opportunity in collaboration with our global partners, the workshop provides hands-on experience with a profound, yet practical, framework for strategic innovation.
What you’ll learn
- How to discover opportunities for new growth
- How to design and validate strategies to seize those opportunities
- How to launch and grow your new growth business
- New concepts for thinking about growth strategy and strategic innovation
- Business design thinking principles to help you shift your mindset and maximize your efforts
- A holistic way to explore your customer experience
- How to use visual thinking tools and templates to support and accelerate your work
- Plus special topics depending on location, e.g., customer experience mapping with Jim Kalbach in San Francisco, lean experimentation and how to build a corporate startup with Tendayi Viki in London.
Participants will gain first-hand experience with strategic innovation by applying The Art of Opportunity process, tools and methods to your company’s business. Participants will also practice and develop an understanding of the principles behind Business Design Thinking as they apply them to uncovering new opportunities for growth, building a viable strategy and planning for launch and long-term success.
What you’ll get
- A copy of The Art of Opportunity (Wiley 2016)
- The Art of Opportunity toolbox with card decks and templates
- Detailed case studies for inspiration
- Discounted access to The Business Model Gallery - The World's Largest Business Model Database to spark your innovation efforts
- Designs for experience mapping, strategy and innovation workshops
- Plus a lot more depending on the event location you choose, e.g., a copy of Experience Mapping (O'Reilly 2016) in San Francisco or a copy of The Lean Product Lifecycle (Pearson 2017) and The Corporate Start Up (VakMedia 2017) in London.
Who should attend?
Senior executives, VPs, business unit managers, strategists, innovators, business developers, marketing and sales executives, and entrepreneurs who want to take their organization to the next level, finding and building new business opportunities and creating competitive advantage.
DAY 1 – DISCOVERING OPPORTUNITIES
Session 1: Introducing to The Art of Opportunity
- The research behind The Art of Opportunity
- Business design thinking applied to strategy and innovation
- Traditional Strategy vs Strategic Innovation
- The old questions of strategy and entrepreneurial ways to answering them
- How established companies successfully design new growth: their framework, process and mindset
- Activity: Evaluate your company’s approach to growth strategy
Session 2: Experience Mapping
- Background and theory on mapping experiences
- Setting up a mapping effort to align with business objectives
- Creating diagrams quickly as a team
- Using maps effectively to see the big picture and find opportunities
- Activity: Customer experience mapping
- Activity: Build a draft diagram
Session 3: Discovering Opportunities
- Where to play: finding opportunities for new growth
- Underserved and neglected customers
- Understanding customer needs and motivations
- Activity: The Opportunity Report
DAY 2 – DESIGNING GROWTH STRATEGIES AND BUSINESSES
Session 1: Design your Offering and Business Model
- Your offering: products, services and customer experiences
- Activity: Create your offering
- Your business model: activities, resources, partners
- Activity: Design your business model
Session 2: Design your Revenue Model and Value Propositions
- Your revenue model: revenue streams, pricing mechanisms and payment
- Activity: Design your revenue model
- Activity: The Strategy Report
- Three types of value propositions: customer value, firm value and ecosystem value
- Activity: Evaluate your strategy - Does it create value?
Session 3: Validate and Scale your New Growth Business
- Three steps to validate your business
- Act - Design - Learn: Agile Strategy
- Activity: What to test
- Activity: How to test
Session 4: Launching The Art of Opportunity in your Organization
- How to facilitate an AoO Sprint
- How to facilitate an AoO Project
- Open Q&A session